By Ahmad Muhammad Danyaro
A State House Press Release on the 1st day of September of by the Presidential Spokesman Chief Ajuri Ngelale announced the appointment of 32 Year old Khalil Suleiman Halilu as the new Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) by President Tinubu.
By this appointment, Khalil Suleiman Halilu will serve for an initial term of five years in accordance with the relevant sections of the NASENI Act, 2014. Mr. Halilu, 32, is expected to bring his significant experience as an innovator and technology expert to bear in this important new national assignment.
But who is this young man at NASENI. Below is What to Know About the New Executive Vice Chairman/EVC, Khalil Sulieman Halilu;
1. Transforming lives: Khalil Suleiman Halilu 32, is a serial entrepreneur and technology enthusiast, and a firm believer in the power of existing and emerging technologies to improve and transform lives and livelihood in developing countries.
2. Winner at global stage: He is the Founder and Chairman of The CANs Technology Hub, and CEO of ShapShap Technologies Limited, winner of the ‘Mobility and Smart Cities Innovator’ Prize in the Supernova Challenge Pitch Competition— one of the biggest pitch competitions in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia—at the Gulf Information Technology Exhibition, GITEX, in Dubai, UAE, in October 2022.
3. Serial/Social-Entrepreneur: In addition to founding ShapShap, a Nigerian logistics startup targeting the last-mile delivery market, Halilu is also the founder and CEO of OyaOya, Africa’s 1st on-demand commodity marketplace. The CANs Technology Hub, which he founded in 2020, in Abuja, Nigeria, is West Africa’s first eco-friendly Technology Hub.
4. Adventurous Tech Savvy: Over the course of the last decade, Halilu has founded or invested in several technology companies and initiatives, cutting across logistics, agriculture, e-commerce, construction, recycling, citizen engagement, and electoral transparency; building on his passion for bridging the technology gap between Africa and the rest of the world.
5. On Board: He serves on or advises the boards of several companies, including Kuming Power China Group, Nuli Foods Company, CGC Construction, Dantata Foods, Gongoni Company Limited, Broadbased Connectivity Limited, and Fata Tannery, among others.
6. Highly educated/Competent: Khalil attended the Rainbow Primary School in Kano in 1996 and soon after, began his Secondary School Education at St. Thomas Catholic School (2001-2003) which he completed at Prime College, in Kano (2006). Halilu holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, and a Master’s in International Business, both from the University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. He possesses over a decade of experience in project management, change management, systems design and architecture, and building effective and impactful organizations.
7. Community Icon/Polo Lover: He is a member of the Global Shapers Community of the World Economic Forum (Kano Hub). A sports enthusiast, he’s also member of the Kano, Lagos & Abuja Polo Clubs, and the Kano Golf Club.
8. Writing his own script: The eldest of five children, Halilu was born in Kano, Nigeria, in 1990, into a family of pioneering entrepreneurs with extensive interests in manufacturing and retail. Khalil preferred to dance to the rhythm of his own drum than ride on his family’s name and its accomplishments.
9. Solution-Provider/Disrupter: KSH–as he prefers to be called, is a modest, loving yet determined man, who will stop at nothing to accomplish success. With a heart of gold, Khalil strives to enhance the living conditions of societies all over Africa by initiating and implementing various technological upgrades and sustainable local-based solutions to issues arising.
10. Humble beginning: After graduating from the University, Khalil worked as an admin clerk at Archimode & Associates. His path took a unique turn when he joined the family business and took over the position of Marketing Manager at Gongoni Company Limited. Gongoni is a vertically integrated aerosol manufacturing company and forms part of the sister company, Scirrocco International Limited, which specializes in the manufacturing of tea and cold beverages.
11. Experienced: Khalil also served as Chief Operating Officer at Scirrocco and held this position for a little over three consecutive years. At the young age of only 23, Khalil already held several positions in various companies as well as established an outstanding reputation for himself in the business sector. Some positions Khalil has held over the time frame of three years include: Managing Director (MD) at Khash Strategic Services Ltd. In 2014. KSH Construction & Design LTD in 2014 Creative Director/Business developer- Africa Infotech Consultancy–2015 Operations Manager at ZCET Global Meter Services Ltd. in 2017.
12. A change of direction: In 2018, KSH steered his focus onto this new field in the business world. He shepherded away from the sector his family’s businesses operate in and created something for himself in a completely distinct niche. He subsequently focused on ways to provide sustainable solutions to technologically advanced environments. It was only after he altered course that Khalil came to the staggering realization that opportunities abound everywhere and It really depends on your point of view. In the same year, OyaOya Strategic Services Ltd and ShapShap Logistics Ltd. came into being. OyaOya is a technological application designed to connect commodity traders in an ecosystem that is both fast and efficient. ShapShap is an on-demand platform popular in Africa for catering to personal and business logistical needs. A technological application, ShapShap connects clients with drivers supported with flexible route options and insurance cover on goods being transported.
13. Eco-friendly: In 2019, Khalil founded the first-ever eco-friendly technological hub in West Africa, best known as The CANs. The hub grew very popular over a short period and has continued to attract fellow environmentalists and technology enthusiasts from all over the continent. A community that encourages individuals to share ideas, host events, and become one with nature, The CANS is not only a technological platform but serves as a center, where technology start-ups can connect, learn, grow and prosper. High-profile events are regularly hosted at the hub, including the send forth party for the outgoing German Ambassador in June 2019.
14. Pride of Africa: Because of his business acumen, strategic skill, and detailed planning, Khalil is an asset and valuable resource to have on the Africa Infotech Consultancy board, as well as the JIGS Environmental Services and Agro-Allied Ltd. Khalil currently serves as the Chairperson of MACE Nigeria Ltd, which introduced the first digital content marketplace in Africa.
15. Global Citizen: He also played an integral role in the setup of New AD, a UK-based company that is developing and supporting the global anaerobic digestion industry and other important technology inventions and devices used in the renewable energy enterprise.
16. Awards/laurels: Away from his tertiary education, Khalil has got various awards and certificates for his participation and contribution to the growth and sustainability of the advancement of technology in Africa.
17. CSR/Foundation: Khalil is busying himself with the help of the KSH Foundation to create social awareness. The foundation tackles the challenges women face in Nigeria and dream of supporting and unleashing their true potential.
Danyaro is a Media and Public Relations Specialist based in Abuja and can be reached at email@example.com