Buhari calls for ceasefire as death toll in Sudan clashes hits 100
By Mukhtar Tijjani
At least one hundred people were said to have been killed and many others injured as fight between Sudan’s military and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, (RSF), rages on in Khartoum, the country’s capital.
Voice of America, (VOA), reported on Monday that both sides are claiming control of strategic sites, with calls for a ceasefire growing.
The military headquarters, Khartoum international airport and areas around the presidential palace are the current main battlefields between the military and the Rapid Support Forces.
The clash is reported to have affected power supply and water systems in the capital, thereby making life more difficult for those trapped indoors by the fighting and people wounded in the clashes.
The UN envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes, said that more than 1,800 have so far been wounded in the fighting and warned that many people are unable to reach hospitals for medical treatment amid the clashes.
Buhari calls for ceasefire in Sudan
President Muhammadu Buhari, has called for a cease-fire in Sudan following the fight that broke out in the country’s capital, Khartoum, between the military and para-military.
Speaking on Sunday during a visit to him in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, by the transitional president of Chad, General Mahamat Idriss Déby Itno, Buhari described the fight between the Rapid Support Forces as unwelcome, Punch reports.
In a statement issued by the presidential spokesperson, Mallam Garba Shehu, Buhari also described the fighting that claimed tens of lives as unfortunate.
The two leaders reviewed the unfortunate situation and called on all neighboring countries and the international community to prevail on the warring sides to stop fighting and negotiate.